Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sick girl =(

Brooklyn has had a fever for a couple of days, just off and on. Yesterday she was feeling pretty good, then took a nap. While she was asleep on my bed, I heard her moaning from the living room. I went in to see what was happening and she was acting very strange. She had her eyes half open and was looking up towards the ceiling and occasionally she would let out a strange moaning or groaning sound. When I said her name she wouldn't respond. She was burning up. I got the thermometer out and took her temp under her arm (usually she screams thru this, but it didn't phase her). Her temp was 102. I called the doctor and he said bring her right in.

Turns out she had a raging ear infection and a rash on her belly. He seemed to think that the strange behavior may have been a febrile seizure. These aren't the kind where they convulse, but rather stare straight thru you. I have seen my niece have them before. I know a fever of 102 is high but I didn't think it was high enough to cause a seizure! She didn't have a noticeable fever when she fell asleep for her nap. I talked to my sister and she said that they do make a groaning noise when they have those seizures.

The doctor thought that the fever may be caused by a virus but because of her ear infection he treated her with antibiotics anyway. The rash may have been a result of the fever as well. My poor girl!! I knew she didn't feel well but I had no idea of the severity. She never gave any indication of a sore ear and I never thought that her fever would have caused a seizure!!! Very scary!!

Today she is feeling much better. No fever and no more seizures! But she is fighting me tooth and nail to take her antibiotic. If she continues to be this difficult about taking it she's going to have to get a shot of Rocephin. Good to see the sickness didn't have any affect on her stubbornness!

2 comments:

Heather said...

The poor little thing, I'm glad she's ok now, that is a scary thing to have happen!

Annemarie said...

Very scarey. One of my boys used to have mild seizures...it is awful to see your baby like that. Hope she feels better soon!