Monday, November 3, 2008

My poor girl!

Alexis and I spent almost 6 hours in the ER last Saturday night =(
She has been having stomach pains for quite some time now, off and on, but it was excruciating Saturday. The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago and I took her to the ER and they did blood tests, a UA and an Xray and found nothing. She was fine for a couple of weeks then, BAM! We went back and they ran the same tests and did a CT (cat scan).
She had to get her first IV and CT. She was a very brave and strong girl!!
The diagnosis: Mesenteric Adenitis. What is that? Well, that means that her lymph nodes in her abdomen are inflamed, causing the pain.
What caused it? Good question! The Dr. said it can be caused by a virus, but sometimes they just say it is caused by a virus when they don't know what else to say. (he actually told me that!)
The remedy? Treat the pain. This was so disappointing for Alexis =( She wanted so badly for them to be able to fix it and make her feel better. I have been giving her Tylenol with Codeine and it still doesn't help the pain.
I feel so bad, and so helpless. It is such a terrible thing to see your child going through that much pain and not to be able to just take it all away.
I am waiting to hear from her pediatrician to see what advice he can give us. She had a very rough weekend but she seems to feel a little better today and that is good. The problem is it just comes and goes. My poor girl!

1 comment:

Annemarie said...

I'm so sorry! Your poor girl. That is a miserable way to spend a weekend!